Paddy Sheelan Cup & Kevin Mullen Shield Reports

Paddy Sheelan Cup & Kevin Mullen Shield Reports


By Caoimhín Reilly


Paddy Sheelan Cup

Group A:


Mattock Rangers 1-10

St. Josephs 1-7


Mattock Rangers gained some sort of revenge for last year’s Intermediate Championship final defeat to the Joes in Darver on Friday night, as David Reid inspired them to a three-point victory which seals their passage through to the quarter-final.

Former Louth forward Reid led the way, scoring 1-7, including a goal from a penalty, as the Collon men added to their previous win over Cooley and draw with the Geraldines.

The Joes may yet secure a knockout place as one of the best runners-up, however Mattock will top Group A no matter the outcome of the other round three clash between winless Cooley and the Geraldines

Mattock Rangers: Mike Englishby; Jack Dunne, Ciaran Calvey, Shane Maguire; Brendan Leacy, Sean Gilsenan, Michael McKeown (0-1); Hugh Donnelly (0-1), Terry Donegan; Alan Carraher, David Reid (1-7, 1-0 pen, four frees), Greg Monaghan; Stephen Smith, James Carraher (0-1), JP Watters

Subs: Ben Watters, Jason McKeown, Cillian Hickey, Nathan Murphy


Group D:


O’Connell’s 3-9

St. Fechins 0-15


The O’Connell’s edged out St. Fechins in a thrilling Paddy Sheelan Cup game in Darver on Sunday, in what is a dress rehearsal for next weekend’s meeting between the sides in the first round of the Division Two league.

Despite Danny Burnell bagging a nine-point haul, six of which came from open play, the Termonfeckin outfit were beaten for the second time in three outings as former Louth player Niall Conlon hit 2-4 at the other end to seal the O’Connell’s first win of the campaign.

Senior debutant Harry Haughney got the scoring underway early-on before a scoring burst from the Castlebellingham natives saw Conlon hit four consecutive points, with two coming from frees, before Conor Culligan extended his side’s lead to four.

The ‘visitors’ fought back on Darver’s all-weather pitch though and scores from centre-forward and centre-back Ryan Sheridan and Tom Burke, along with Burnell’s first of the day, kept the south-Louth men in touch.

However, their hopes of a first win of the year were all but dashed over the course of a six-minute spell in the first-half where Conlon and Jackie Agnew found the net to leave the O’Connell’s 2-5 to four-points ahead heading towards the interval.

And further points from Culligan, Dean Corrigan and Salem Rifaie (O’Connell’s) and Burnell (3) and Leo McGrane (St. Fechins) saw six-points separate the teams at the change of ends.

Rifaie extended the lead at the start of the second-half with another point, though that would prove to be the O’Connell’s penultimate score of proceedings as the 2014 Intermediate Championship finalists took control with McGrane, Sheridan and Burnell, in particular, continuing to chip away at the deficit.

However, all of their good work appeared in vain as a mix-up in the Fechins’ defence allowed Conlon to capitalise Niall McDonnell’s short kick-out to despatch to the net with 10 minutes left.

That all but ended the contest although three further Burnell points did take the dirty look somewhat off the score board.

The sides reconvene in Castlebellingham next Sunday.

O’Connell’s: Sean Connolly; Kyle Daniel, Jack Sadlier, Liam Kiernan; David Hoey, PJ Tuite, James Luckie; Jackie Agnew (1-0), Ciaran O’Brien; Emmett Byrne, Salem Rafie (0-2), Dean Corrigan (0-1); Cian Geeney, Niall Conlon (2-4, 0-2 frees), Conor Culligan (0-2, one free)

St. Fechins: Niall McDonnell; Niall Carolan, Richard McDonnell, Derek Younger; Leo McGrane (0-2), Tom Burke (0-1), Harry McArdle; Sean McConnell, Brendan Fanning; Stephen McEvoy, Ryan Sheridan (0-2), Matthew McEvoy; Danny Burnell (0-9, three frees), Dermot McConnell, Harry Haughney (0-1)


Group E:


Dundalk Young Irelands 1-6

Glen Emmets 1-8

Glen Emmets moved themselves into contention to get a best runners-up spot and qualification for the Paddy Sheelan Cup quarter-final following Sunday morning’s two-point win over winless Dundalk Young Irelands in the DkIT.

Five-points from Ronan Grufferty went a long way to sealing the win for the Tullyallen men, with the tall full-forward equally as accurate from play as placed balls.

Emmets led 1-2 to 0-5 at the interval with corner-forward Damien Grimes striking the three-pointer to open the scoring in the early moments of the match.

Despite trailing for the majority of the half, DYI rallied somewhat coming into half-time with the deficit being narrowed to the minimum before an excellent goal from Johnny Breen had the Irelanders’ in the lead for the first time.

It was an excellent ‘nip and tuck’ affair after half-time, despite the conditions not being favourable it was an interesting spectacle for the brave onlookers.

However, it was the visitors who finished stronger and with Grufferty in fine form the winners prevailed with two-points to spear.

Dundalk Young Irelands: Fergal Sheekey; Jason Milligan, Cian O’Nairaigh, Ryan Malone; Conor Nixon, Peter Nixon, Peter Mc Court; Aidan Sheekey (0-1), Andrew Nixon; Johnny Breen (1-1) Jordan O’Donoghue (0-1), Shane O’Connell; Dermot Mone, Sean Laverty (0-2), Aaron Murray (0-1)

Subs: Stephen Bellew

Glen Emmets: Conor Kelly; Shane Noone, Tom Grimes, Evan English; Andrew Mooney, Stephen Healy (0-1), Conor Byrne; Mark Garvey, Robert Byrne; Keith Lynch (0-1), David Bracken, Ben Hilliard; Damien Grimes (1-0), Ronan Grufferty (0-5), Niall Hackett

Subs: Sean Byrne, Derrick Johnson (0-1), Brendan Monahan, Joe Farrelly


Kevin Mullen Shield:


Group D:


Roche Emmets 0-18

Stabannon Parnells 1-4


It’s now 19-points in two Kevin Mullen Shield matches for Roche’s go-to-man Barry O’Hare following the former Louth minor’s 10-point haul in his side’s comfortable victory over Stabannon in Páirc de Róiste on Saturday night.

The forward really has started the year in fine form and if Roche are to launch a serious challenge for Christy Bellew Cup glory this term then his scoring prowess, alongside Kevin O’Callaghan and Shane Byrne, the Faughart men’s go to guys in attack, will be vital.

The game was never really a contest at any stage as the hosts steadily built-up an interval advantage which they never looked like surrendering. They led 0-8 to a single Daniel Bannon point in response for the visitors, although Ollie McDonnell’s men did miss two frees from scorable distance prior to the break.

O’Hare finished some wonderful, flowing Roche moves throughout, especially in the second period where their play appeared to quicken up as the holders’ superior fitness levels showed.

Stabannon did notch the only goal of proceedings midway through the half when Colm Giggins waltzed through unopposed to tuck the ball past Niall McArdle and only for an erratic finish Daniel Bannon could have drawn the affair closer, as it was though Parnells never got closer than three-points as the home team won the last quarter 0-6 to 0-1, with O’Hare converting some exquisite placed-balls from range in the process.

Roche Emmets: Niall McArdle; Robert Mackin (0-1), Joe Bishop, Liam Dawe; James Tiffney, Harry O’Connell, Ciaran Savage; David Quigley (0-1), Dan O’Connell (0-1); Dermot Carthy, Barry O’Hare (0-10), Shane Byrne (0-2); Evin Quigley, Enda Murphy (0-2), Conor Carthy (0-1)

Subs: Caoimhín Reilly, Gerry Murphy, Conor Mackin, Kevin Quigley, David O’Connell

Stabannon Parnells: Anto Byrne; Cathal Halpenny, Séan Halpenny, Éanna McCartney; Fintan Martin, Martin King, Daniel Bannon (0-1); Colm Giggins (1-0), Niall Cluskey; Liam Giggins, Thomas McBride, Niall Fanning; Thomas Campbell, Shane Sweeney (0-1), David Cluskey

Subs: Paul Egan (0-2)


Categories: Local events, Sport

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*